The chateau was created by the reconstruction of the castle, founded probably in the first half of the 13th century. In the 16th century, the castle was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau. In 1842 the mannor was bought by Margrave Alfons Pallavicini, and the magnificent restoration of the whole area in Pseudo-Rococo style started. During the war in 1943 the chateau housed Viennese art collections. It was also used as a hostel for students of the Vienna Conservatory. In 1945 the chateau was confiscated and its buildings were used by the army to accommodate soldiers. In 1992, the Jemnice military unit ceased to exist and the chateau remained empty. Since 1994 the whole area has been owned by Jemnice. The chateau is surrounded by a large park (21ha).
The chateau is currently inaccessible to the public.